Sunday, April 3, 2011

I Can't Stop Myself...

I have been baking like a maniac lately! I don't know why... other than my mind & body are not agreeing to the fact that I need to lose 10 lbs.!! Oh well! Thought I'd share these two recipes - they are WINNERS! If they turn out good when I make them, then anyone can make them!

Chocolate Chip Cookies (from my friend Kaisa's Kitchen)

2 C. shortening
2 C. brown sugar
1 C. sugar
4 eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 t. baking soda
2 t. salt
4 1/4 c. flour
12 oz. chocolate chips (semi preferred!)
1 c. oatmeal (optional)

Mix shortening & sugars together. Then add eggs & vanilla. Combine the rest and bake at 375 on a greased cookie sheet for 9-10 minutes. Wa-lah! They turn out GREAT every time! I sometimes half the recipe 'cause it makes a lot! Kaisa puts some of hers in the freezer and gets them out later and they still taste terrific!

Blueberry Muffin Tops

1/2 c. shortening
1/4 c. butter
1 egg
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 tbs. milk
2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries (no need to thaw)

Preheat oven to 375. Cream all wet ingredients together. Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl. Then add together until just mixed. Fold in blueberries, careful not to crush them. Batter might be crumbly. Drop by 1" scoops onto greased sheet or parchment paper. Bake 12-15 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes before taking off cookie sheet. (Side note: I don't love whole blueberries, so I mixed everything together with my beater for 1/2 of the recipe. The first batch I made according to the recipe turned out delicious - like a shortbread cookie with chunks of blueberries. The 1/2 where I mixed everything together & smushed the blueberries turned out yummy too! More cake-like and overall blueberry tasting! I would recommend trying both!!)

Optional glaze: 1 1/2 tbs. butter, 1 c. powdered sugar, 2 tbs. lemon juice

Enjoy!! Let me know if you use these and how you liked them! And just for the record, the Blueberry Muffin Top recipe was found in a novel. I didn't create it!

No comments: