Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I HATE FLIES.

Hate is a very strong word. In fact, growing up I was not allowed to use the word "hate." So you should know that when I say that I hate flies, I mean it with all my heart. What is it this year that they are so bad? I thought maybe it was just our house... we are surrounded by animals. But after I read my friend Pam's blog, I felt a little better about things. Just a little though. I know that she keeps her house immaculate (unlike mine) - so at least it's not just my house with the crumbs on the floor or the animals.

Can I just vent to you about how bad they really are though? I have been known to kill 20 in the morning before 9:30 am! TWENTY?! Yes, really. That is disgusting. But then to make matters worse, I'll get home from work and there are at least that many more!! Where are they coming from? We weren't even home to open and close the doors all day. Which means they are breeding in my house!!! And I HAVE seen them in action and it just ticks me off like no other!

The other day Anna was taking a nap on my bed. I went in to check on her, and lo and behold there were 3 flippin flies ON HER! I went into mama bear protective mode. I was fuming inside. I got the trusty fly swatter (which has been disinfected a few extra times this season because of all the guts) and tried for the next 10 minutes to kill those flies that dared to land on my baby! But I didn't want to wake Anna - that would be horrible! So I would shoo them away from her, then watch and try to quietly WHACK them with all my might. No wimpy shots here. I go for the kill every time. I'm sure it was quite the sight.

I was almost late to work today and didn't even get what I was supposed to get done, done - because of the damn flies. I can't stop killing them... I'll get a few, then turn around and there are 10 more!!! So I keep going. I don't want them to take over my house completely! There are guts everywhere, dead flies lying around... I feel like I'm living in the slums or something.

I could go on and on - but I did google "home remedies for killing flies" today and basically didn't learn anything good. There's the whole "fill up a ziplock bag and hang by your door" trick (but that just keeps them from coming in. I need something to kill those *&@#!!! once they are in. I tried making my own concoction with a bowl of water and some other random ingredients... hoping to suck them in and then drown them. I killed one. Not going to be enough.

So if you happen to know of any tricks besides whacking them with the swatter, let me know. I might be willing to pay you. Or at least trade for some chocolate covered cinnamon bears or something!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

my hell, get a hold of yourself. you are almost turning violent about it.

Sarah said...

upon further reflection on this, I must say, you do have a problem. I've seen the damn things in your car, too. Exterminator? Some kind of scented candle? Preisthood Blessing??

Emily said...

As much as I hate to say it FLY STRIPS. I broke down and got some this year and they worked really well. The flies here in Eagle Mountain were so bad that I was going crazy. They work wonders just put them up high and don't look up.
Take Care, Emily Foster

The Brown's said...

so josh and I had a great time tonight reading your post on the "damn flies" hahahaha we laughed so stinkin hard. I almost peed my pants (that was Josh)j/k happy hunting:)

p.s. have you ever seen the movie the fly? I wouldn't recommend it:P LOVES!!!

The Tough Sisters said...

It is the damn dogs/horses!

(I have knats like crazy, I am constiantly slaping my hands in the air trying to kill them, and damn those suckers are fast!)

Ginger said...

We have had horrible flies this year too! I have to agree with elf... fly strips work pretty good. They are ugly, but they do work. We finally got some fly bags at the feed store and hung it off the porch. They get in and can't get out. They work really good too, but start to stink after a while. We put some up down by the boy's steers and down by the pigs too. It did help.
I have to laugh though... I go around swatting flies like a crazy woman too... they GROSS me out!