Sunday, March 22, 2009

Kitchen Fire

Yesterday I started our kitchen on fire!  We are SO DARN LUCKY that T was home... otherwise we might have had a house fire on our hands.  I had a pan of oil on the stove to cook T's out-of-this-world chimichangas... and forgot about it!  We were also cooking up some hot dogs on the barbeque outside, so we were back and forth from the garage and the kitchen.  I remembered about the oil and ran inside to see smoke rising from the pan.  I took it off the burner and it immediately burst into flames!  T told me to take it outside, but I panicked and dropped it on the floor - right onto our kitchen rug - which of course, just started right on fire!!  T then yelled at me to GET OUTSIDE which I did promptly... then realized that T was holding Anna inside.  OH MY HECK!  I couldn't go back in the kitchen door where the fire was, so I sprinted around the house and back inside to get Anna from T.  Owen was already out the front door and standing by the tree in our front yard...such a good little boy!  The tree is our designated spot to meet in case of an emergency.  T grabbed the extinguisher and put out the fire, but our house was full of smoke, oil, and the mess that extinguishers make.  I am extrememly grateful that there was no real damage...and glad that I had a "practice" run in case it happens again.  I can see how fast a house can burn right down.  If T hadn't of been home, I would have gotten the kids out and safe with a neighbor or something before I even attempted to go back in with a fire extinguisher.  And I have never actually USED an extinguisher, so it would have been a bit slow and shaky I'm afraid.  By that time the whole living room would have been engulfed!  
So the moral to this story is...#1 know where your extinguishers are and how to use them, #2 remember to get your kids out before you do, and #3 don't leave oil on the stove on high and walk away from it!!  

10 comments:

GREENLAW said...

how SCARY!!! wow. so glad you guys and your house are ok... that is one of my worst fears!!!! thanks for the pointers!!

Mike and Nic said...

So scary!!! I'm glad you guys got out okay. Honestly, I don't know what I would do if something like that happened to me! I would have freaked and the entire house would have been gone. It's a good reminder to be more prepared!

Britt said...

Glad everyone made it out OK.

Ummm, is your dad still the fire chief? hmmmm. That could have been embarrassing. grin.

The Brown's said...

oh my gosh!!! I am so glad that you are all OK! What a blessing that T was home!!! Thanks for the reminder on fire safety:O)

Justin, Kelli, Estin & Eli said...

Wow! We're So glad everyone's ok. I think it's great Owen knows the designated emergency spot. That's SO important, as you well know!!!

Arin said...

Bless your heart. Good thing you have a "professional" living with you!

Brooke said...

WooooW! I am so glad that you guys are all alive and okay. What a scary experience.

Mike and Nic said...

I did check out flylady.net and it's the kind of thing I LOVE! I haven't had time to sit down and really read it but I plan to soon, especially with my new 'duties'! Have you ever heard of themeanestmom.blogspot.com? She's a woman of my own heart! You should check it out. It makes me laugh every time I read it! :)

Ginger said...

That is SO scary! I'm glad everything turned out so good! What a blessing that Aaron is a firefighter! I'm afraid I would be like you and not quite be sure how to handle something like that!

The Brooks Family said...

Um. I'm not going to point out that you NEVER move a flaming pan. as you could start your kitchen on fire. Also not going to point out that both your dad and husband are fireman, and you should know to put a lid on a grease fire. Nor am I going to make fun of your forgetfulness - i'll blame that on you having two kids.

I am just going to say I'm glad your all okay, and that you still have a house, and that i'm proud of you for having an emergency spot