Saturday, April 19, 2008

Parks and pumpkin cookies

With the weather being somewhat nice lately, all Owen wants to do is go to the park... and for some reason he is asking for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies a lot, too! So we have been park-hopping and baking! It is nice to be able to walk or ride in any direction and find a great park within minutes of our house...AND...I have a great pumpkin cookie recipe, so life is good!

It's been fun to get out of the house a little more and enjoy the weather. I've also had fun watching Owen become more daring - climbing up the rock mountains & "tricky" ladders, sliding down firepoles and all the slides in every and any direction. My favorite is when he first gets out of the car and yells "YEY!" and claps his hands as he is running toward the park! He is also a little social butterfly and is always so quick to tell everyone at the park "HI!" with an enthusiasm that is contagious.

So that brings us to the cookie part! Owen has always loved pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, but for some unknown reason (not that mom buys them and they are on the counter), he is always asking for them! Really though, even if we don't have them at our house, he will ask for them out of the blue! So I got my trusty ol' recipe out, and it has been fun to have Owen help make them. It is also nice to have a really good bribe when I need one - he will jump out of bed with a smile on his face at the mention of a pumpkin cookie. He will also go pee-pee on the toilet without a fight - and a cookie will keep him occupied for a few minutes if I just have something very pressing to do (like post a new blog)!

So there you have it! Parks and pumpkin cookies. That seems to have been the two most pressing things in our life right now (at least from a 2 year old's perspective). Sometimes it's kind of nice to not worry about the crazy things in life and just enjoy the simple things. So if you want to taste a little piece of heaven... here is the easiest recipe in the history of mankind!

1 spice cake mix
1 cinnamon swirl cake mix
(or 2 spice cake mixes)

1 large can pumpkin
1 pkg large chocolate chips

Mix all together. Put on greased pan and bake at 350 for approx 15 minutes!

5 comments:

The Brooks Family said...

LOVE this cookie recipe! But i've never tried it with the cinnamon swirl cake! I'll have to try that!

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe too!! Also never tried or even knew abou the cinnamon swirl cake. Sounds good though.
So we need to plan a park date. All of our kids are at the age that they can GO PLAY, so give us a call, we'd love to meet you at the park.

kholbro said...

Thanks for the recipe - I'll have to try it! You forgot to mention the success we had flying Owen's kite at the park! :)

Mag Family said...

Yummy! I love pumpkin choco. chip cookies, unfortunately I am the only one who eats them. I am glad you commented on my blog now I know someone reads it besides my sisters.

Brooke said...

The park and pumpkin cookies sound perfect!! Fun and yummy!! I can just picture Owen saying YEY! And saying hi to those who are at the park. What a cutie. Also, I am going to bake those cookies. Thanks for the recipe!